Ellian’s Material Detector – Discover valuable ores around you in a more elegant manner, and at the same time, maintain the fun in mining! Who needs X-ray when you have a radar?
Overview of this Mod
Finding ores in Minecraft can be very difficult. For one, they are randomly generated in the world, so this means that there’s not really any technique to mining them. Sure, you can strip mine, but that takes ages to do, and is almost not worth it. You can also try to dig all the way down, hoping to stumble into a cavern, but that is incredibly risky, considering that lava also randomly generates everywhere. You can use X-ray, but that takes the fun out of everything really.
That’s where this mod comes in to save the day. Ellian’s Material Detector is a mod that adds a radar into the game that helps you find ores. On top of that, you can actually choose which ore you want to look up! All you need to do in order to do so is to press the “n” key. In order to change the zoom level of the radar, all you need to do is to press the “b” key, and it will toggle between the zoom levels.
This mod is incredibly practical because, not only does it show the horizontal view of where you’re at, but it also shows a vertical view if you want to dig straight down! What this means is that you will no longer surprisingly fall into lava, losing all your stuff. This mod also works in Multiplayer. Even though I am against this if you’re going to use it in Multiplayer, it is much more useful than an X-Ray mod. For example, some servers have an ore obfuscation plugin geared towards X-Ray people. This mod doesn’t use the same code the X-ray mod does, so this mod remains unaffected.
All in all, this mod is great, and is recommended if you are the kind of person who would rather spend more time doing other things rather than mining.
Screenshots of this Mod
Here are some screenshots showcasing the mod:
Videos of this Mod
Here is a video showing what the mod does.
How to Install this Mod
- The Steps (1.6 and up)
- The Steps (Windows)(Old-Fashioned Way)
- The Steps (Mac)(Old-Fashioned Way)
- The Steps for Forge and Modloader Mods (Old)
- Be sure to get WinRAR or 7-zip. It's a necessity for installing mods.
- Be sure to backup your "minecraft.jar" before doing anything! We don't want you to have to force update now, do we?
- Be sure to delete META-INF inside "minecraft.jar".
- Be sure to install the mods listed in the yellow box below first. They are usually mods required for the mod you want to install to work.
- The Forge and Modloader installation instructions only apply if the yellow box below states that the mod requires either Modloader of Forge. If the yellow box does not, use the "Old-Fashioned" instructions.
- The Forge and Modloader instructions only apply to the mod itself. Any mod in the yellow box below must be installed using the "old-fashioned" instructions.
- Close Minecraft. This is to ensure that the files will overwrite properly.
- Open up Windows Explorer.
- In the navigation bar, type "%AppData%".
- Navigate to "Roaming". (Skip this step if you can't see a roaming folder.)
- Open up a folder called ".minecraft".
- Open up a folder called "bin".
- Right click the file called "minecraft" or "minecraft.jar".
- Select open with.
- Open with WinRAR.
- Open up the mod. (be sure to extract the mod first.)
- If there are no specific instructions included with the mod, it is safe to assume that you drag all the files in.
- Be sure to delete META-INF. I can't stress this enough.
- Install Minecraft Forge, Modloader, or any mod dependency listed in the yellow box below using the "Old-Fashioned" installation instructions to the left.
- Start Minecraft up. Close Minecraft afterwards.
- Navigate to the ".minecraft" folder. Once you open it, you will notice that there is a "mods" folder. If there isn't a mods folder to be seen, create one.
- Place the mod inside the "mods" folder.
- Open Minecraft up and have fun!
Important: This mod requires you to install the following mods:
Click on the links to get them.