Overview of this Mod
I love playing Minecraft with my friends, but the problem sometimes is that there aren’t enough commands in the LAN mod to make it worthwhile. For example, there’s isn’t a /sethome command, meaning that my friends will end up having to walk all the way home, or teleport to one of us, in order to get back to our established base with ease. Sure, one of us could set a bukkit server up, but that’s a lot of tedious work, just for something so simple. With bukkit, you will have to find plugins, add permissions, and a whole lot of other things. This will take well over 30 minutes to do. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be playing Minecraft, rather than setting a server up.
Thankfully, there’s the Real LAN Mod! The Real LAN Mod is a mod that makes it so you have more control over your LAN server, such as being able to ban and kick players (maybe people that are on the same WiFi network as you are, and just happen to be playing Minecraft), as well as add commands such as “/sethome” and “/home”. Basically, this mod will allow you to have a basic custom server, complete with everything that is expected from servers like these. Since this mod only takes a couple of minutes to install, it’s much better than configuring a bukkit server.
This mod, as stated a bunch of times before, is very useful when it comes to creating a LAN server. For example, let’s say that you and your friends decided that you want to mine all together in one area in order to maximize the amount of ores you collect in that certain area. Without this mod, you will end up having to walk out of that cavern, constantly retracing your steps. This can pose a problem because of the fact that the entrances and exits look almost the same. Thanks to this mod, you can just set your home beforehand, and just teleport back.
All in all, this mod is pretty cool, and is recommended for anyone who likes to play Minecraft with their friends through the use of LAN.
Screenshots of this Mod
Here are some screenshots showcasing the mod:
Videos of this Mod
Here is a video showing what the mod does.
How to Install this Mod
- The Steps (1.6 and up)
- The Steps (Windows)(Old-Fashioned Way)
- The Steps (Mac)(Old-Fashioned Way)
- The Steps for Forge and Modloader Mods (Old)
- Be sure to get WinRAR or 7-zip. It's a necessity for installing mods.
- Be sure to backup your "minecraft.jar" before doing anything! We don't want you to have to force update now, do we?
- Be sure to delete META-INF inside "minecraft.jar".
- Be sure to install the mods listed in the yellow box below first. They are usually mods required for the mod you want to install to work.
- The Forge and Modloader installation instructions only apply if the yellow box below states that the mod requires either Modloader of Forge. If the yellow box does not, use the "Old-Fashioned" instructions.
- The Forge and Modloader instructions only apply to the mod itself. Any mod in the yellow box below must be installed using the "old-fashioned" instructions.
- Close Minecraft. This is to ensure that the files will overwrite properly.
- Open up Windows Explorer.
- In the navigation bar, type "%AppData%".
- Navigate to "Roaming". (Skip this step if you can't see a roaming folder.)
- Open up a folder called ".minecraft".
- Open up a folder called "bin".
- Right click the file called "minecraft" or "minecraft.jar".
- Select open with.
- Open with WinRAR.
- Open up the mod. (be sure to extract the mod first.)
- If there are no specific instructions included with the mod, it is safe to assume that you drag all the files in.
- Be sure to delete META-INF. I can't stress this enough.
- Install Minecraft Forge, Modloader, or any mod dependency listed in the yellow box below using the "Old-Fashioned" installation instructions to the left.
- Start Minecraft up. Close Minecraft afterwards.
- Navigate to the ".minecraft" folder. Once you open it, you will notice that there is a "mods" folder. If there isn't a mods folder to be seen, create one.
- Place the mod inside the "mods" folder.
- Open Minecraft up and have fun!
Important: This mod doesn’t require you to install any other mods, such as Modloader, or Minecraft Forge. Install this mod with the “old-fashioned” installation instructions.